Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Impossibility is Nothing – Don’t Limit Yourself

Whew! It feels good writing an article again.  Sometime last year, I was watching the Zone Reality (one of M-nets DSTV channels), and came across a program titled “Half Body, Whole life.” It is a story about Rose Siggins, a woman that has beaten every odd and – never taking no for an answer.
Let me give you a little brief about Rose; Rose is an extraordinary woman born with a rare bone disorder called Sacral Agenesis, a condition that causes malformation of the spine right from the womb.  At a point in time in her childhood life, the useless legs had to be removed to increase her mobility.  That notwithstanding, Rose moves about not with a wheel chair; in fact any suggestion on using a wheel chair is greatly detested by her, she hates wheel chairs!  She moves around in a simple stuff as a skateboard using her hands to walk in place of – legs.  Rose has been obsessed with engines since childhood, so at a point she went into auto mechanics.  In a male-dominated world of auto-mechanics, Rose fixes cars, she is a racing driver, and, Rose is a married woman with two lovely kids (Luke and Shelby), and still going.
She has a half body, but has a whole life and living it.  She stunned her doctors by overcoming many obstacles and beating every odd!  All through the documentary about her, I never for once heard her complaining about anything, instead she says she takes life the way she saw it and not letting her circumstance deter her.  Even though the journey has never been smooth sailing, for 33 years, she’s never accepted her condition as a limitation.
I chose to use this story, because I think there is a lot to be learned from this.  Let’s look at this story, and see the positive energy, that this woman put on, and made up her mind to achieve greatness.  Friends what I’m saying is, so many of us “have more than what she has, yet we complain all the time about what we don’t have” we can pursue our dreams and make them a reality, using what we have been blessed with.
I think we can learn a lot from Rose’s story; most times we give excuses to why we can’t do certain things in life.  I honestly think this is a great reality check for most of, I just hope Rose won’t get upset with me J, for using her as a case study in this article, because from what she said on TV, her parents had never liked putting her in the public eye. 
My point is “We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us” Philippians 4:13.  After watching Rose’s story, I was so inspired and motivated, because here I was thinking “oh if only I have the needed connection, if only this, if only that…” and a woman with missing limbs, repairs cars, drives, and, even competes in car racing competitions!  I mean I have a complete body thank God, yet I just learnt how to drive not quite long ago.  We are the ones bringing limitations to ourselves by creating reasons why we can’t do certain things.
Friend’s, let us not limit ourselves; so long as there is life, there is hope.  We can achieve greatness; we can fulfill goals and our dreams can come true.  Never give up; because once you give up, then it’s over. J

No comments:

Post a Comment